Monday, July 30, 2012

XCopter Quad Build - Week seven

Maxx's Stuff

Hi and welcome to Maxx's Stuff, I'm Maxx and this is my stuff!

XCopter Micro Quad Build - Week seven

This week was a really exciting week, I got the last ESC, Hex drivers, 2M screws and lock nuts, along with the three bladed black props all from Hobby King. Came to the door for $24.00 with an average now of $28.15 .... Except. I failed to check the hex drivers size. The smallest is 1.5mm, and I already had 1.5mm drivers and needed something smaller for the motor. You may remember from week four I needed to rotate the mount of the first motor so its wires would enter the micro frame more comfortably. So I had to go to the local hardware store and buy an entire set of Allan keys for $20 so I could get a 1.3mm, 0.9mm and 0.7mm. I think it was the 1.3 that was small enough. That has now brought the average to $30.61 ... dang, budget is now blown and will have to work hard to bring it down, and get it done in ten weeks.
The hex drivers are great, that feel really comfortable and allow good force but good control as well, superbly made, just pity they do not come smaller.
I love the props, I think they look fantastic along with the spinner, so next week I will have the green props to help with orientation while flying. Along with the screws I received means the motors are now mounted as can be seen on the picture.
I was amazed with myself, having been born with ten thumbs I did not lose one single screw or nut!
So now all the ESC's are soldered in and hot glued to the frame, the motors are mounted and also soldered. Until I get a battery, I will not be able to tell if the motors are running in the correct direction, but a quick de-solder, a swap of two leads will fix that. Next week I will also be getting the BESC programming card, servo leads and 14mm nylon spacers for the receiver.
For the video, I thought I would show something a bit different. These little guys come from the University of Pennsylvania. They are robotic and programmed to fly like this. Enjoy the tune, James Bond Theme.
 
P.S. Since I received the USB AVR programmer, I have been experimenting more with kkMulticoperflashtool and have found how to use it in Linux and all the features that come with the program. Slowly producing a Video on that so keep an eye out, hope to get it up soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment